If the term “mold toxicity” invokes a sense of fear or anxiety, you’re not alone. Mold toxicity can become very serious if left unchecked. But you don’t need to fear it, rather arm yourself with understanding. Knowledge is power, and if you understand what mold toxicity is, how it affects your body, and how it can be effectively treated and eliminated, you can protect yourself from exposure in the future.
When your quality of life is negatively impacted because you’re sick, you want answers and relief. Yet, an accurate diagnosis of mold toxicity can remain elusive to an untrained medical professional, and cause you to go from one medical professional to another trying to figure out what’s wrong.
Often mold toxicity patients feel frustrated because their symptoms are real, but sense that their healthcare team thinks it’s “all in their head” since they can’t find the real cause for their symptoms. If you can relate, have hope. At The LaCava Center, we believe you. We have thorough knowledge about how to provide you an accurate diagnosis, relieve your symptoms, and eliminate the root cause of your mold toxicity.
The Role of Mold Fine Particulate in Mold Toxicity
In 2016, late toxicologist Jack Thrasher published a study about “mold fine particulate.” In it, he describes how mold sheds tiny particles (particulate). He explains how the toxins of the particulates circulate in the body through the nervous system and lungs when he states, “The translocation of nano-particulates with their attached toxins occurs by two mechanisms: the nervous system and the surfactants of the alveoli. The nano-particulates enter the surfactants of the lungs and are then transported across the alveolar cell membranes and enter the systemic circulation.”
Thrasher is saying that tiny, mycotoxin-carrying particulates circulate throughout your body in two ways:
- Via the lung alveoli to the bloodstream
- Via the olfactory (sense of smell) neurons: Nano-particulates attach to the nasal mucosa and are transported up the olfactory nerve crossing the blood-brain barrier and spread throughout the brain.
This understanding that mycotoxins are carried throughout the body on fine mold particulates helps to explain why people who are suffering from mold toxicity have many unusual symptoms affecting multiple body systems.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and the Journals of American Medicine all agree that Mold-Fine Particulate is dangerous to human health.
Mold Toxicity vs. Mold Allergy
Many of us are familiar with the irritating effects of mold allergies, which are caused by mold spores that cause hay fever-like symptoms when you inhale the mold spores. On the other hand, mold toxicity can cause serious physical, mental, and emotional sicknesses.
Mold toxicity is different from allergies because it’s caused by mycotoxins, the tiny poisons carried by particulates. Some molds produce these mycotoxins, which are volatile toxic vapors and can trigger a chronic inflammatory response (CIRS) in some people. CIRS is an auto-immune reaction that happens when a person’s body can’t adequately clear biotoxins and is defined this way:
“An acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response syndrome acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes and mycobacteria as well as inflammagens such as endotoxins, beta glucans, hemolysins, proteinases, mannans and possibly spirocyclic drimanes; as well as volatile organic compounds.”
It’s common to think that if an entire family was exposed to toxic mold in their home, they would all feel sick; however, that’s typically not the case. Even if only one person in a family is sick with unusual symptoms, mold exposure needs to be considered.
So, who are these vulnerable individuals prone to the life-altering effects mycotoxin-induced CIRS? What makes one person more susceptible to mold toxicity than another? The answer is that it’s because of their genes. Approximately 25% of the population genetically lack specific immune response genes that prevent them from clearing biotoxins from their bodies. This means the combination of mold exposure and genetic disposition is a recipe for vulnerability to mold toxicity.
The Difference Between Mold and Mycotoxin
Mold is a fungus, and mycotoxin is the poison that some molds (toxic molds) produce and release. Toxic molds cause CIRS, and other molds may cause allergic reactions. Mold spores are between 1 and 20 microns, but the mycotoxins they produce are much smaller at only 0.1 microns.
Mold can be found throughout our environment. It grows outside and inside homes and buildings.
Contrary to our reactions to the word “mold,” not all mold is harmful. It’s actually an essential part of our ecosystem to break down dead organic matter like leaves, trees, etc. Mold is also used to make some cheeses and antibiotics.
But it’s not good when mold is overgrowing in your environment and making you sick. Studies reveal that more than 50% of homes and more than 85% of commercial buildings in the U.S. have water damage and mold. Many experts say every home has some detectable amount of mold, making it likely that any building that has been water damaged has mycotoxins present.
Mold requires three things to grow inside your home or workspace:
- An organic food source: Including most building materials such as wood, drywall, insulation, etc.
- A source of moisture: Including water leaks, condensation, etc.
- A high relative humidity: If your home is about 60% humidity, it’s conducive to mold growth.
What Is Mold Toxicity Treatment?
Mold toxicity treatment is the process of bringing you back to wellness. It can include things such as:
- Mycotoxin testing
- Testing your environment
- Tissue biopsy in some cases
- Dietary changes
- Nutritional supplements
- Pharmaceutical anti-fungals
- Therapeutic baths
- Recommendations for your living or work environment to eliminate mold
Our team at The LaCava Center, we are knowledgeable and experienced with providing a correct diagnosis and relief from mold toxicity and mold toxicity treatment. Your quality of life matters to us. Don’t risk going down a confusing rabbit trail leading to a misdiagnosis. We invite you to make an appointment today with one of our medical professionals to get on track to the wellness you deserve.